Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Sit Still Please!!!


Sit still please!
Put your hand up!
Silence!

...we have all heard that!
...but what was the indirect message behind those words?
(that's partly why i hated school!
...i was quiet so i was generally fine but still...
i got the message! ;-)

The message was one: PLEASE CONTROL YOURSELF!

...and oh we ...i... hate it!
That is sooooooo hard!!!!
Self-control is probably second hardest thing in the world!
(The first hardest thing would probably be obedience...)

...but why is it so?
...and why is self control important?

------------

hmmmm....


it's easy to boss people around: "do this" "do that"
...but hard to command myself the same!!!

it's easy for me to correct my brother: "mhux hekk!"
('mhux hekk' = that's not the way to do it)
...but hard to correct myself: "mhux hekk!"

it's easy to tell someone: "shut up!"
...but hard to tell myself: "shut up!"

...and so on...

the reason: well i believe that i am better!
(obviously i am not but that is how i see myself...)
i think i know it all!
(again wrong: i do not know it all ...but still i believe i actually do...)
so i find it hard to control (command, correct and stop) myself!
(True ...it is human nature...)

why?


because i am always right!
i always know what to say!
i never make a mistake!
and i am just perfect!!!!
(well the above is not true ...but i believe it anyway
...and many people think the same of themselves...)

...so self-control is hard
!
-----------

"eh but i don't believe all that!
i do not think i am perfect at all!!
still i find it hard to control myself!!!"

...yes ...that can be true too!
Self-control, even if my ego is not sky-high, is generally hard!

something inside of us finds it hard to control itself!
to command itself! be firm with itself! correct itself!

...yet irrellevant of how hard or easy self-control is, it is DEFINATELY necessary! How can i be strong if i have no self-control? ...i'd be worse than a two-year old having a tantrum! My lack of self control would mean that i am incapable of saying 'no' to myself! It would mean that i am incapable of saying 'no' to things which, though they might be presented in an attractive way, may/will harm me. My lack of self-control would me that i allow myself to get carried away with anything!! ...irrellevant of how bad/harmful it may be!!!! :-(

saying 'no' is important!
saying 'no' to myself is necessary!
saying 'no' to bad stuff and lies is a must!

easy? ...no way!!
important? ...you bet!!!

why?!

...because it saves me from falling slave to lies and sin!

-----------
Today's first reading at Mass was as follows:

"If you are led by the Spirit, no law can touch you. When self-indulgence is at work the results are obvious: fornication, gross indecency and sexual irresponsibility; idolatry and sorcery; feuds and wrangling, jealousy, bad temper and quarrels; disagreements, factions, envy; drunkenness, orgies and similar things. I warn you now, as I warned you before: those who behave like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. What the Spirit brings is very different: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, trustfulness, gentleness and self-control. There can be no law against things like that, of course. You cannot belong to Christ Jesus unless you crucify all self-indulgent passions and desires. Since the Spirit is our life, let us be directed by the Spirit." (Gal 5:18-25, enlarging is my doing.)

...i think that speaks by itself ...no!? ;-)
so i can just shut up ;-)
...but i have said: self-control is very hard!! :-(
...so there is a little more which i will add! :-S
-----------
Two wise sayings
(on the same subject)

"The first and best victory is to conquer self."

(Plato)

"I am, indeed, a king, because I know how to rule myself."

(Pietro Aretino)

-----------

Today was the feast day of st.Teresa of Avila, Doctor of the Church. The following article was great and enjoyable, hence i am posting the link: http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=208.

---------------

...i have said more than enough! ;-)

If you're pro-life you GOT TO do this!

If you're pro-life you GOT TO do this!
Click the picture to go to the page and to like it: your like counts!