Saturday, June 20, 2009

“I have come that you may have life, life in all its fullness” (Jn 10:10)

“Truly, I say to you,
if you do not eat
the Flesh of the Son of Man
and drink His blood,
you have no life in you.
The one who eats My Flesh
and drinks My Blood
lives with eternal life
and I will raise him up
on the last day.”
(Jn 6:53,54)


Do you remember your birth-day because i certainly don’t! Mum and dad make a little bit of a greater fuss over it because i was their first child but, though i’m very thankful that they co-operated with God so that i could have life, i think it was only the start. My birthday goes into the background for two reasons:

1. i (obviously) don’t remember it at all
2. i received life more fully on my First Holy Communion
…now that day i certainly remember!
-----
When our parents had their 25th Wedding Anniversary, my siblings and I decided to thank God with a Mass and a get-together for family and friends and we did.
The priest who was saying Mass is a fine priest but sometimes he speaks a little bit harshly - even shocking people – and to be honest I wasn’t too comfortable. As soon as the homily was about to start my brother (one year younger in age) and I looked at each other and then he started:

“So, like you all know we are here to thank God
for uniting two of the greatest sinners in Marriage. (pause) …”
Hmmm.
HMMMMMMMMM.
I’m not saying that my parents are saints but i wouldn’t say they are the greatest of sinners either! Sure they fight and argue - sometimes a lot too - but they have always been faithful to each other and, with God’s help, they did …and continue to… do their best to bring us up with a love for God and our neighbour.

(Well the priest went on explaining what he meant etc etc… it was ok in the end)

Even before we were born mum and dad would pray for us. Everyday, at night, they’d pray a prayer. It was a prayer which i did not understand but which i still remember …since they prayed it so often!

It included our names and the names of any children who at that point in time, for some reason or another, needed more prayers:

We put our little children
under your protection and care,
Mary our Dearest Mother,
Make their minds grow up
to love the Truths of Faith!
Consecrate their wills to the Service of God!
Fill their hearts with love for Our Creator!
Fashion their bodies in all perfection.
Let their organs be sound,
their senses acute,
all members strong and healthy!
You can obtain this favour for these little ones:
(here came our names, “the baby who will soon be born” and other children)
We thank you, Mary our Mother
and place our trust in Your Son,
Our Lord Jesus Christ, Amen!

Now i understand it and i am thankful they prayed it.

We, my siblings and i, were brought up in a Catholic home. When i started school dad started a routine: at around 6:30am, he’d would wake a 5yr old ruth and 4yr old Matthew for Mass. I HATED waking up so early and besides i did not understand much of what went on at Mass ...but now i am thankful for that too – if our father hadn’t shown such zeal for the Eucharist i’d probably wouldn’t care as much. (He’s changed his ways though – he doesn’t wake my younger sisters that early now – he goes with them to evening Mass instead :-)

Anyway so our parents, with God’s help, did their best to keep their promise: “to educate the children God sends in the Catholic Faith, love of God and neighbour” ...and they continue to that.

I (understandably ;-) don’t remember my birth-day at all but the gift of life – which i shall continue to care for and cherish – made much more sense and became truly abundant when Jesus came physically into my heart for the first time ...to keep coming.

The day i had my

First Holy Communion

i started to have life more abundantly.

I am thankful to my parents for their continuos co-operation with God: in giving us life and in helping us to love God: “The Way, The Truth and THE LIFE.”

I wouldn’t make a wish when i "blow the candles" but i’ll thank God for my parents and i’ll pray that we may all come to believe that God - despite our failings - loves us soooo much and so dearly. Then we can all, like Peter, say:

“Lord, to whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life.
We now believe and know that
You are the Holy One of God.”

(Jn 6:68,69)

If you're pro-life you GOT TO do this!

If you're pro-life you GOT TO do this!
Click the picture to go to the page and to like it: your like counts!