Friday, April 3, 2009

Come Hold my Son!


Thirty three years earlier
the same Jesus
had been taken
to the temple.
There His parents
presented Him to God:


Jesus had said:


He also said:

"The Father loves me because
I lay down my life
in order to take it up again.
No one takes it from me,
but I lay it down freely.
It is mine to lay down
and to take up again:
this mission I received
from my Father."
(John 10:17,18)
now three years later as He hangs dying on the cross
"Jesus gave a loud cry,
“Father, into your hands
I commend my spirit.”
And saying that,
He gave up his spirit."
(Luke 23:46)

Thirty three years earlier Mary had presented a beautiful little boy to God the Father yet now she stands beneath the cross of her dying child. This time it is He who presents Himself to the Father and as He does Mary stands sufferring. The lovely child whom she once offered to God the Father now hangs dying on a cross:

"a man from whom people hide their face" (Is 53:3)

Mary had stood beside Jesus all His life. Now she stands beneath the Cross accompanying her Son in these most difficult moments. As His Side is pierced surely Mary understands what Simeon meant!
"a sword shall pierce your heart"
(Luke 2:35)

-----
In Malta, on this holy day, processions are held all over the country. Thousands of people walk solemnly through our streets, praying that we too may, like Mary, may be obedient and faithful to God. In most of our churches a beautiful hymn, by the name of “Wieqfa taħt is-salib”, (Standing Beneath the Cross) is sung. The following is a translation of the same:

Standing beneath the cross with a sorrowful look
She looks at her Son Crucified as He bleeds dying.
Standing beneath the cross, Mary is in agony
She groans in pain, weeping for her Son Jesus.

I cry though not as much for Him
As I do for you poor sinners
For you and your children
Are so far from God!


Yes I weep when I see you
rejecting my Son Jesus.
You stay away
You do not approach Him!


On this holy day when we remember Mary’s sorrow she invites us:
COME HOLD MY SON!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ppCQ_iISc
(click link to hear this most beautiful song by "Thirsting")

If you're pro-life you GOT TO do this!

If you're pro-life you GOT TO do this!
Click the picture to go to the page and to like it: your like counts!